Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hannah's "newly decorated" room


Because of a snow/ice day, Hannah got out of school early Tuesday and then didn't even have school on Wednesday. So...we had some extra time together.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I went to Goodwill and bought some items for her room, which I considered a very good deal: purple lampshade ($2), wicker wastebasket ($1) and purple heart-shaped pillow that says Be Mine (.35 cents!). We already had a lovely gauzy white/purple/pink/blue canopy that we'd never put up in this apartment, because I felt like it would make her room seem even more cluttered! But I decided to go ahead and buy a hook and set it up, along with the other Goodwill items.

Then, we brought out her cheap old dresser, re-painted some trouble spots, and decorated the knobs with heart stickers (Hannah's idea). Hannah helped me paint (just some good old gesso I use for my crafts), and the old thing really perked up, especially with the stickers.
I thought since we were home for a snow day anyway, that she'd get a real kick out of helping me fix her room up. Besides, you can't beat the price--$5 or thereabouts all told!

I've been hoping we could do something nice for her birthday and this is what I came up with, including a couple of summer church dresses, a purple one and a white one, that I know she will love! (
She hasn't opened the dresses yet, or another gift, because her b-day isn't until February 8.) I got them (where else?) at Goodwill on the 50% off sale, so they were each only $2. You can't tell me God doesn't care about the little stuff!

One last thing: Hannah's third grade class was scheduled to go see a play, but they couldn't go because of the really bad roads. When she came home, though, she was in pretty good spirits. She even commented that this was "the best day ever."

Surprised at that, I told her, "Hannah, I'm really proud of you for taking this so well! I know you wanted to see that play!"

And she said, "Oh, I am kind of disappointed. But really, I'm just so glad to get to spend extra time with YOU, Mommy!"

Well. Makes all that planning and fussing and decorating her room all worth it! Yay and double yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment