Monday, January 25, 2010

Hannah's dream

"And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.
Joel 2:27-29

The three of us went to see my mom and dad on Saturday (Sabbath). Hannah casually mentioned a dream she'd had recently: she dreamed that she was on her way to heaven, on a road. She said that Jesus told her to keep her eyes on Him, that that was the only way she'd reach heaven. She said other people were on the road with her, too, but they kept looking away from Jesus. When they did, they fell off the road. "I kept my eyeballs on him," Hannah told us in her Texan drawl. "Even after I reached heaven's gate, I kept looking at Him!"

Seventh-day Adventist Christian author, Ellen White, had a similar dream. To my knowledge, Hannah has never heard of that lady's dream. I thought Hannah's dream was very special. We have talks about God all the time. I never try to make Hannah believe there are "pat" answers for everything, and that we sometimes don't understand how God works.

I know that for most people, at some point, inevitably, God "disappoints" us. Or rather, His answers do. We don't like to hear what He has to say, sometimes. Because, like any good parent, He has to tell us "no," or "wait."

And bad things happen--boy, do they happen! I don't want Hannah to think that just because bad things happen to good people, that it means He's letting her down. The Bible is full of bad things happening to His people. But I believe in "His ways are higher than our ways, His thoughts than our thoughts." I may not always like it, but I believe. And I want her to believe--and someday go to heaven. Isn't that what it's all about?

All for now,
Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment