Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Overheard around the Williams household...

Snippets of conversations heard around a certain nine-year-old member of the Williams family:

After a day of swimming with some friends:

Mommy: So, Hannah, were you excited to swim with so-and-so?*

Hannah: No, I don’t have a crush on him anymore.

Mommy: Really? Because he didn’t like you back?

Hannah: Yeah, I guess so. Besides, I’ve moved on. I have a new crush. I like Chris now (Texas Rangers ball player).

Mommy: Is that so?

Hannah: Yes. (Hand to her chest) It’s the end of an era. The end of my first crush. (Gives an impish grin)

Mommy: Sounds good to me!

*Name has been changed to protect the no-longer-crushed-on boy

-----

A conversation at bedtime:

Hannah: Mommy, did Satan turn himself into a serpent when he talked to Eve in the Garden, or did he live in the serpent?

Mommy: Well, I believe he lived in the serpent, because God cursed the serpent later in Genesis, so it was like the serpent “had a choice” sort of. Hard to explain, I guess.

Hannah: Oh.

Mommy: Yes, you know Satan (or his angels) can live in people, too. That’s what it means when someone is demon-possessed. You hear more of that in the Bible, but it can happen today. More in terms of that Satan has control over our lives with sin, such as taking drugs, being mean to others, etc.

Hannah: (dramatically folds hands as in prayer) Oh, Mommy! I’m going to pray every day so the devils won’t live in me! Now I’m scared!

Mommy: You don’t need to be scared! A person has to pretty much be turning his back against God, and tell God to “go away” in his life for that to happen. But if he/she does, they’re fair game to Satan.

Hannah: Is that like when Jesus sent the demons from the man into the pigs, in the Bible story? The pigs went all crazy and oinked all the way over the cliff!

Mommy: (laughing) Yes! That’s exactly right!

-----

While driving around town:

Hannah: Mommy, there’s a car accident! I’m going to pray for the people involved! “Dear Jesus, be with the people in the wreck. Help them not to be hurt. Help them to be OK. Keep mommy and me safe on the road. And help Daddy to enjoy his peace and quiet while we’re gone.” (FYI: Daddy did! Ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment